Week 4: Healthy People Objectives for Community Settings
Community health nurses practice in a variety of settings. Choose one of the following CH settings and describe what you have learned about the setting and the role(s) of the nurse in that setting (see Nies & McEwen, 2015, Chapters 29–33).
- School nursing
- Occupational health nursing
- Faith-based or parish nursing
- Home health nursing
- Hospice nursing
- Forensic nursing
- Correctional nursing
The federal government developed Healthy People as a set of national health objectives that are revised every 10 years. These objectives are very specific in order to guide and measure our nation’s progress related to public health. Please visit http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Click on a topic area that relates to a role you chose to discuss. Click on the green Objectives tab in that topic area to choose one Healthy People 2020 objective.
- Discuss one specific, numbered Healthy People 2020 objective (not a goal) related to this community health role.
- How could a community health nurse help meet this objective?
Introduction to Healthy People 2020 website (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. is an aid to help you navigate the HP 2020 website.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2015). Community/Public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations(6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Saunders/Elsevier.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2016). Healthy People 2020: Topics & Objectives. Retrieved from http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Search entries or author Filter replies by unreadUnread Collapse replies Expand replies
Subscribe ReplyReply to Main Discussion
- Collapse SubdiscussionJENNIFER HOENIGJENNIFER HOENIGFridayJul 21 at 10:14amManage Discussion EntryClass, I am sure many of you have heard of Healthy People 2020. Some of you may not have heard of Healthy People. Here I am adding more information about this initiative. Healthy People 2020 is a government initiative of 10-year national health objectives proposed by the US Department of Health and Human Services. The department wants the nation to achieve these objectives by the year 2020. This is the 3rd decade of Healthy People. Two goals of Healthy People 2020 are: To increase Quality and Years of Healthy Life and Eliminate Health Disparities. The first goal to is designed to help individuals of all ages increase life expectancy and improve their quality of life. The second goal is to help people in different segments of the population to eliminate health disparities. There are 43 focus areas of Healthy People 2020. Each focus area has its own set of objectives, and there are almost 600 objectives to improve the health of all Americans. The objectives under each focus area have baseline data collected prior to the implementation of Healthy People 2020, and goal statistics (targets) to obtain. Healthy People 2020 include four Foundational Health Measures that include General Health Status, Health-Related Quality of Life and Well-Being, Determinants of Health, and Disparities. These foundations will be used to determine progress toward promoting health, preventing disease and disability, eliminating disparities, and improving the quality of life.JenniferReference:Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). Healthy People 2020. Retrieved from http://healthypeople.gov/default.htm. ReplyReply to Comment