When nurses study alternative therapies, especially touch and energy therapies, they often frame them with in Martha Rogers theory of the Science of Unitary Human Beings (SUHB). Within this theory humans are viewed as energy fields with a unique pattern. Disruptions in energy lead to illness. Other theories of energy as the basis of life flow from the East and include Prana, Ki, or Chi. Such energies are considered putative and are not without controversy. For this assignment you will pick one energy framework of your choice (it may or may not be listed here) and describe a CAM therapy that flows from it. Your information may come from the text but should also include at least one article from a peer review journal. For this assignment, the article or articles may be either research, practice, or a review in nature and may be older than 5 years. Here is what to include in your paper:
- A description of the energy framework and where it originated.
- A description of at least one specific manipulation or touch therapy that arises from the framework (hint sports massage does not arise from an energy theory, but reflexology, therapeutic touch, accupuncture, and reiki do).
- Discuss the controversies or any ethical issues surrounding that therapy. This section can include what you have read and you opinions.
- Cite your information APA style (in text and at the end of your paper). This paper should be about 2 pages. It does not need a title page. Please post it as an attachment in the week 4 forum by Midnight Wednesday. Post a substantial response to at least one other posting by Midnight Saturday
Module 4: Readings
- Fountain chapters 11-15, & 26
American Psychological Association (2010). Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author. (ISBN 1-4338-0561-8)
Fontaine, K. L. (2015). Complementary and Alternative Therapies for Nursing Practice (4rd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. (ISBN 0-13-334650-3)