Demonstrate ability to critically think in relation to medication, prescription and over-the-counter meds.
� Interview a client who is prescribed multiple medications and at risk for polypharmacy.
� Demonstrate ability to critically think in relation to medication, prescription and over-the-counter meds.
� Examine medication adherence with your selected patient
� Analyze prescription drug use, diagnoses and healthcare utilization for the selected patient.
� Implement an individualized client teaching session based on identified needs.
� Complete a paper summarizing this process and the evaluation of this patient teaching experience. Paper should be 1250-2000 words (approximately 5-8 pages) in length but is not to exceed 2000 words excluding title and reference pages.
This assignment has several steps
1. Select an elder in the community setting or a patient in your clinical setting who is prescribed at least 4 prescription medications.
2. Complete and interview with this patient as outlined below.
3. Develop a teaching plan based on your findings that you will implement with your patient.
4. Arrange for a second visit in which you will implement your teaching plan focused on preventing complications of polypharmacy.
5. Write a paper detailing and analyzing this full process. This is to include each of the elements as described below.
� Write an introduction: Define the term polypharmacy. How does this individual you selected demonstrate issues of polypharmacy?
� Provide patient historical information: In a narrative provide a brief presentation of the individual�s history
It should include
o Demographic information (age, family constellation, living arrangements)
o Does culture influence decision-making regarding medication usage?
o List PMH, diagnoses and HPI.
o How much does each prescription cost on a monthly basis?
o Does he/she participate in a federally sponsored pharmacy program? If so, how did they make the decision about the appropriate pharmacy program?
� Discuss each prescription and OTC drug(s), listing � name(s), dosage, route, timing and purpose. Describe the pharmacodynamics of each medication listed. This should be presented as a narrative discussion within the paper. All resources must have appropriate citation given.
The post Demonstrate ability to critically think in relation to medication, prescription and over-the-counter meds. Polypharmacy Assignment appeared first on My Nursing Paper.