Developing Theories in Health Education
Please take advantage of this opportunity to practice for the Assignment coming up in Unit 2 by participating in this Discussion.
In order to prepare you for the upcoming Assignment in Unit 2, you will need to have an understanding of health behavior theories that have been categorized by theory level. Reflect upon the categorization of intrapersonal, interpersonal, and community-level theories. How might you utilize intrapersonal, interpersonal, or community-level theories in developing health initiatives? You do not need to describe specific theories in this Discussion, but rather provide an understanding of the theory level categories.
Reflect on the following definitions taken from your textbook:
• Health education is defined as “any planned combination of learning experiences designed to predispose, enable, and reinforce voluntary behavior conducive to health in individuals, groups, or communities”
• Health promotion is defined as “any planned combination of educational, political, regulatory, and organizational supports for actions and conditions of living conducive to the health of individuals, groups, and communities”
A. Using the definitions above, as well as Figure 1.1 as your reference, evaluate the relationship between health education and health promotion. In what ways are they connected, and in what ways do they differ? What social, environmental, political, economic, and organizational factors are involved in these processes? How do Health Educators operationalize health education and health promotion concepts when designing, implementing, and managing health programs?
Logic Models for Program Design and Development
Logic models provide a framework for program design, development, and implementation. They help us understand the big picture of our programs, and they serve as a roadmap to help us achieve our goals and meet our outcomes. For this assignment, create your own logic model using a health issue and prevention strategy of your choice. The model can be as simple or as complex as you’d like it to be, but it must provide a graphical representation of your program elements. In designing the logic model, please be sure to include the following required components:
• Short-term outcomes
• Mid-term outcomes
• Long-term outcomes
You may also include the components below:
• Purpose or mission of the program
• The context, conditions, or situation under which the program will be offered
• Assumptions association with the planned program
• External factors that could influence program success
• Description of the evaluation of the proposed program