Topic 1: Defining Internal and External Evidence
- Discuss the difference between external and internal evidence as it relates to your PICOT search strategy.
- Address the strengths and weaknesses of searching in a databank versus a web-based search engine. You must use two databanks mentioned in the text.
Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare
- Chapter 3: “Finding Relevant Evidence to Answer Clinical Questions”
- Chapter 5: “Critically Appraising Quantitative Evidence for Clinical Decision Making”
Jesson, J., & Lacey, L. (2006). How to do (or not to do) a critical literature review. Pharmacy Education, 6(2), 139–148.
Pierce, L. (2009). Twelve steps for success in the nursing research journey. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 40(4), 154–164.
Salmond, S. W. (2007). Advancing evidence-based practice: A primer. Orthopedic Nursing, 26(2), 114–125.
Review the following website, specifically the Continuing Education articles under Tools and Resources, and the About Us section.
- Evidence-Based Practice Network. (2015). Retrieved from http://www.nursingcenter.com/evidencebasedpracticenetwork
Review the sites below that detail ongoing research efforts.
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2015). Retrieved from http://www.ahrq.gov
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. (2015). Retrieved from http://www.ihi.org