QUESTIONFEB 12, 2017
PERSONAL HEALTH AND WELLNESS….. 2 DIFFERENT DISCUSSION BOARDS…. 1 DUE WEDNESDAY AND 1 DUE THRUSDAY…. 300 TO 550 WORDS NOT INCLUDING THE REFERENCES
1ST DISCUSSION BOARD DUE WEDNESDAY
Discussion 1: Health Literacy
Healthy People 2010 defined health literacy as: “The degree to which individuals have the capacity to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions.” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2000). Healthy People 2020 expanded on this concept by adopting a plan based on the principles that “(1) everyone has the right to health information that helps them make informed decisions and (2) health services should be delivered in ways that are understandable and beneficial to health, longevity, and quality of life” (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 2012, p. 1).
Reference: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. Healthy People 2020. Washington, DC. Available at http://www.health.gov/communication/hlactionplan/pdf/Health_Literacy_Action_Plan.pdf [Accessed 2/1/2012].
For this Discussion, you explore the relationship between health literacy and personal health and wellness. You also examine ways to promote health literacy as a future professional in the health field.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 16 in Health: The Basics, 10th edition Edition. Focus on how health literacy affects consumer health and personal health and wellness.
- Review the article “Critical health literacy: A review and critical analysis.” Think about the impact of insufficient or lack of health literacy. Consider ways to promote health literacy.
With these thoughts in mind:
By Day 3, post an explanation of the importance of health literacy to personal health and wellness. Then explain two ways health literacy can positively affect health and wellness and one consequence of poor health literacy. Finally, as a future professional in the field of health, describe one strategy you might use to promote health literacy and explain why you would use that particular strategy.
2ND DISSCUSSION BOARD DUE THRUSDAY
Discussion 2: Environmental Health and Emerging Trends
Think for a moment about a third-world country that has no running water and no sewage system. The human waste of the community members is left in ditches and the water that is available is often contaminated with disease. These environmental factors can have a tremendous impact on the health and wellness of the community. Now consider the environment in which you reside or work. Are there elements in your environment that might affect your own health and wellness?
Issues such as environmental health, escalating health costs because of chronic disease, and increased healthcare needs of the aging population are leading to a growing interest in careers in promoting health and wellness.
For this Discussion, you consider how the environment can affect health and wellness. Also, think about the scope of personal health and wellness and the increase in careers related to health and wellness. To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review Chapter 15 in Health: The Basics, 10th edition. Think about how environmental factors affect personal health and wellness.
- Review the article “Some public attitudes about health and the environment.”
- Review the article “The cow in the room: Public knowledge of the links between dietary choices and health and environmental impacts.”
- Think about your environment and its impact on your personal health and wellness.
- Using the Internet and the Walden Library, select two careers within the field of health that promote personal health and wellness in which you might be interested. Identify the skills and credentials necessary for each position.
With these thoughts in mind:
Select one of the two Discussion Questions.By Day 4, post a brief explanation of one way that environmental factors might positively affect personal health and wellness and one way environmental factors might negatively affect personal health and wellness. (Do not use the example in the Introduction). Then explain how you might mitigate any negative effects.
By Day 4, post a brief description of the careers you selected in preparation for this Discussion. Then describe the credentials needed for these careers. Finally, explain why these careers are of interest to you.