QUESTIONOCT 20, 2018
Project: Promoting Health Care QualitySection 5: Evaluation PlanWith the recognition of the bidirectional link between quality and finance in a healthcare organization, it follows that any changes to
Project: Promoting Health Care Quality
Section 5: Evaluation Plan
With the recognition of the bidirectional link between quality and finance in a healthcare organization, it follows that any changes to one can have an echo in the other. To determine the net result of a change in overall performance status of the organization, one must determine the point where the results of echoes will reach equilibrium.
—Sadeghi, Barzi, Mikhail, & Shabot, 2013
This week you have been examining evaluation tools and how they can be used as part of a plan to promote quality and safety. As you develop an evaluation plan for your Course Project, consider the insights you have gained through your analysis of your selected organization, as well as the highly regulated and competitive health care environment.
- Review the information on evaluation, including data representation and quality monitoring, presented in the Learning Resources.
- Review your work on the Course Project thus far, particularly Sections 3 and 4.
- Think about how your quality improvement initiative could be evaluated. Consider the following:
- Which stakeholders need information related to this initiative? What do they need this information for?
- How would you assess the outcomes in the short-term and long-term?
- How would you analyze related processes, including but not limited to the one you redesigned in Section 4?
- How should an analysis of organizational structures be integrated into your evaluation?
- How would you identify and evaluate any unintended consequences that may arise?
- What metrics should the organization use to gauge progress and the effectiveness of the quality improvement initiative? How would these metrics incorporate the measures and indicators that you identified in Section 3? Are there additional measures and indicators that you now think should be included?
- How should the organization track and display data for an interdisciplinary audience? How could the use of a dashboard or balanced scorecard be of value?
- How could the organization create an integrated view of performance that links finance and quality?
Develop a 2- to 3-page evaluation plan that includes the following:
- An outline of the methods that you would propose for evaluating the quality improvement initiative and the financial implications
- A description of specific metrics that integrate your previously identified measures and indicators and any others that you have deemed important
- A recommendation of how the organization could represent data related to this quality improvement issue for ongoing monitoring and to determine the value or success of the initiative
- An explanation of how the organization could create an integrated view of performance that links finance and quality
This is a continuation of previous sections on same quality improvement measure : Patient centered care / safety