Please read and understand the following before offering a handshake – thank you:
3 pages. Due by September 2nd, 2013. All Original Content. Apply APA standards to citation of sources. Support your statements with examples. Provide a minimum of THREE scholarly references, And No References More Than Five (5) Years Old.
****In addition, every paragraph must be cited. In other words, at the end of each paragraph please show where the information came from – This is a must with this paper! Thank you.
Nuclear medicine is a specialized branch of modern medicine that exploits the process of radioactivity for imaging, diagnosis, and treatment. Many imaging techniques inject small amounts of radioactive material into the body, which are then tracked by a sensing device specific to the type of radiation emitted from that material. Radiation has also been used to destroy diseased tissue, typically beyond the reach of standard surgical techniques.
Write a paper on nuclear medicine and address the following:
First, Explain the scientific and technical concepts related to nuclear medicine. Consider the following questions when you construct your response:
– What type of radiation is typically exploited in most nuclear medicine procedures?
– How are patients prepared for nuclear medicine procedures?
– What are the advantages and limitations of nuclear medicine?
– What ailments are typically diagnosed and treated via nuclear medicine procedures?
Second , Evaluate what GAMMA KNIFE SURGERY IS AND/OR WHAT IT PROMISES TO BE, And a minimum of two, below listed, applications of nuclear medicine relating to any of the following topics:
– Positron Emission Tomography (PET) scans
– Gallium scans
– Indium white blood cell scans
– Iobenguane scans (MIBG)
– Octreotide scans
– Hybrid scanning techniques employing X-ray computed tomography (CT) or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
– Nuclear medicine therapy using radiopharmaceuticals
– The below sites were recommended sites that are and will be considered Reliable for this paper and, at least, TWO REFERENCES MUST BE FROM ONE OF THEM:
– Scientific American website ( http://www.scientificamerican.com/ ) will have a number of good articles linked. But, sometimes charge a fee, unless you dig further.
– The Science Daily website ( http://www.sciencedaily.com/ ) is a great place to go for reliable information.
– Discover magazine ( http://discovermagazine.com/ ).
– Popular Science ( http://www.popsci.com/ ) and Popular Mechanics
( http://www.popularmechanics.com/ )can also be very good sources.
– Various “dot gov” sites are considered reliable (some more so than others).
– NIH or the CDC are great places to go for information regarding medical issues.
– For peer reviewed and pre-print material; Google Scholar ( http://scholar.google.com/)
– http://sciencenetlinks.com/ American Association for the Advancement of Science
– http://www.si.edu/ Smithsonian
– http://www.amnh.org/ American Museum of Natural History
In addition, NY Times Articles will be mostly acceptable.
For your consideration & Thank you.