Journal Entry 2
This week, you complete and submit your second journal entry. Your journal draws from evidence, concepts, and/or theories you have examined in this program, especially those related to your specialization. What have you observed during your Practicum Experience that you would like to analyze through your journal writing?
- Reflect on your Practicum Experiences in Weeks 4-7.
- Think about the evidence, concepts, and/or theories (evidence) learned throughout this program and your specialization.
- Analyze a problem, issue, or situation that you have observed during your Practicum Experience.
- Using a minimum of three peer-reviewed sources of evidence, consider what you have observed within the context of your specialty using appropriate concepts, principles, and theories. Give special attention to observed events that vary from the scholarly literature.
- Determine how the problem, situation, or issue was handled in a manner that is consistent and a manner that is inconsistent with the theory, concepts, and principles detailed in the evidence.
- Given the various evidence-based approaches that can be used in handling the observed problem, situation, or issue, think about a plan for approaching the matter differently.
To complete the Practicum and Journal Entry 2:
In your saved version of the NURS 6600 Practicum Journal document, do the following:
ORDER NOW FOR CUSTOMIZED SOLUTION PAPERS
- Write a 250- to 300-word journal entry (identified as Journal Entry 2) in which you do the following:
- Describe a problem, issue, or situation that you have observed during your Practicum Experience (no more than a half page).
- Using no fewer than three peer-reviewed sources of evidence, analyze what you have observed within the context of your specialty using appropriate concepts, principles, and theories. Give special attention to observed events that vary from scholarly literature.
- Explain how the problem, situation, or issue was handled in a manner that is consistent and a manner that is inconsistent with the theory, concepts, and principles detailed in the evidence.
- Given the various evidence-based approaches that can be used in handling the problem, situation, or issue, formulate a plan for approaching the matter differently.
- Include references immediately following the content.
- Use APA style for your journal entry and references.
Note:To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in theCourse Materialssection of your Syllabus
Matthews, J. H. (2012). Role of professional organizations in advocating for the nursing profession. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 17(1), 1.
Note: Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
The author addresses the importance of involvement in professional organizations for nursing professionals.
Shekleton, M. E., Preston, J. C., & Good, L. E. (2010). Growing leaders in a professional membership organization. Journal of Nursing Management, 18(6), 662–668.
Note: Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
“In order to grow leaders an organization must make a commitment to develop and maintain an infrastructure that supports leadership development activities” (Shekleton, Preston, & Good, 2010, p. 667). The authors discuss findings from a leadership development program.
American Association of Critical Care Nurses. (n.d.). Certification for nurse managers and leaders. Retrieved May 20, 2013, from http://www.aacn.org/wd/certifications/content/cnmlhome.pcms?menu=certification
The American Association of Critical Care Nurses Certification Corporation, in collaboration with the AONE credentialing center, offers certification for the nurse leader-manager.
American Medical Informatics Association. (2011). Clinical informatics becomes a board-certified medical subspecialty following ABMS vote. Retrieved from http://www.amia.org/news-and-publications/press-release/ci-is-subspecialty
This article addresses the movement to recognize clinical informatics as a subspecialty.
American Nurses Association. (2013). Leadership. Retrieved from http://www.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ThePracticeofProfessionalNursing/Leadership
The ANA offers a leadership institute for professional development.
American Nurses Credentialing Center. (2013). ANCC certification center. Retrieved from http://www.nursecredentialing.org/certification.aspx
The ANCC is the largest and most prestigious credentialing organization. View the certifications available by specialty area.
American Organization of Nurse Executives. (2012). AONE credentialing center. Retrieved from http://www.aone.org/resources/certification/about_certifications.shtml
The AONE credentialing center, in collaboration with American Association of Critical Care Nurses Certification Corporation, offers certification for the nurse leader-manager.
Healthcare Information and Management Systems. (2013). Health IT certifications. Retrieved from http://www.himss.org/health-it-certification?navItemNumber=13588
The Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology has specified certification criteria for electronic health records.
NMA. (2012). Welcome to NMA! Retrieved from http://www.nma1.org/
This organization promotes the development of leadership competencies and interpersonal skills.
Project Management Institute. (2013). What are PMI certifications? Retrieved from http://www.pmi.org/Certification/What-are-PMI-Certifications.aspx
PMI recognizes that many professionals of varying skill and education levels are or will be involved with projects. The organization offers certification for professionals involved in project management.