In this program, you have also examined the application of research and information technology in the nursing profession. Information systems and patient-care technologies have contributed in many ways to improved patient outcomes; however, safeguards, secure practices, and ethical standards are necessary to promote and support data security, patient confidentiality, and regulatory requirements. You have also investigated the effective use of patient-care technologies, communication systems, and information systems across the health-illness continuum.
To help you prepare for this assessment, review the resources you used and the assessments you completed in BSN-FP4004, BSN-FP4006, BSN-FP4008, and BSN-FP4016.
As you prepare for this assessment, complete the following:
- Before you begin, examine your organization’s history of safety in a specific area and how your organization addresses patient safety issues. If possible, consult with a key stakeholder in the organization (such as an administrator) to better understand specific patient-safety concerns and how the organization is working to resolve the concerns. This person should also be able to discuss some of the organizational barriers impacting the patient safety issue.
- Next, look at the basic concepts, principles, and practices that contribute to organizational quality improvement and patient safety. Review the literature for best practices and how technology might be used to improve the issue.
- Finally, be sure to consider the legal and ethical implications associated with the safety issue, as well as possible organizational barriers to change.
As you construct this assessment, address each point as completely as possible:
- Describe a patient-safety issue within your organization, comparing the way your organization addresses the issue with the concepts, principles, and practices that contribute to quality improvement and patient safety.
- Analyze the legal and ethical consequences of not addressing the issue.
- Recommend evidence-based interventions, including technology, to address the patient-safety issue.
- Describe strategies to overcome specific organizational barriers to change, based on your knowledge of the organization.
- Format: Include a title page and reference page. Use APA style and formatting.
- Length: Ensure your completed assessment is 8–10 pages in length, not including the title page and reference page.
- References: Cite at least five current scholarly or professional resources.
- Font: Use double-spaced, 12-point, Times New Roman font