Part 1 Due 2/24
The overall assignment is to write a 1250-1800 word paper on one from a list of topics.
Please follow these Guidelines:
-Double-space the paper, using Times New Roman font in 12-point.
-Use MLA formatting and documentation style.
-Cite correctly. Put all copied words, phrases, sentences, etc. in quotation marks and cite all paraphrased words, ideas, and arguments correctly.
-Include examples of art works to support your analysis. (Feel free to include illustrations in your paper.)
Use the art vocabulary from Chapters 4 and 5 to describe the art works
Choose from the following topics:
1. Write an essay that addresses this statement: “The definition of ‘art’ has shifted and changed over time and across cultures.” Refer to specific works of art, artists, styles, conventions, and/or movements that serve as examples to support your agreement or disagreement with this statement.
2. Discuss the traditional arts and the historical attitude toward art of one of these cultures: India, China, or Japan. Explain when and how the culture came into contact with other cultures—especially Western cultures—and the results of that contact on both.
3. Identify three artists from different centuries who have used their art to comment on social or political issues, citing specific works in support of your selections. Comment on the reasons that you feel these artists have succeeded or failed in producing recognition or change through their art.
4. Discuss the influence of African art on European and American art from the 19th century through the present, citing specific works, artists, styles, or movements that have been influential.
5. Discuss the influence of photography on the art of the late 19th and 20th centuries, citing specific uses of photography. Discuss the shifting and sharing of the functions and purposes of art by painting, drawing, and photography.
TextBook: Getlein, Mark. Living with Art, 9th Ed., New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010
Part I due 2/24(one page outline)
1.An introductory paragraph. This should begin with a “hook,” introduce the topic, and include a thesis statement. The thesis statement should be the directing statement/argument for the paper. Papers should have a strong thesis statement. Please highlight the thesis statement in the paragraph. Also, don’t forget to come up with an original, creative, meaningful title.
2. A list of possible sources. This may change as you continue your research. These sources must be cited in MLA format. Do NOT use sources like Wikipedia, about.com, crystallinks, Yahoo answers, etc. Use college-level research sources. Wikipedia canbe used for images only.
3. A one-page outline of the paper. This should indicate how you will break down your topic and how you intend to support your thesis. I would like to see concrete facts in the outline. I want to see what research has already been gathered, not just an outline of how the paper will be organized.
Part 2 Due 3/3
Final draft of 1250-1800 word research paper on chosen topic. Please cite at least three sources (outside of the course text) in supporting your thesis on your chosen topic. Please double-space the paper, using Times New Roman font in 12-point. You should use MLA formatting and documentation style. Be sure to put all copied words, phrases, sentences, etc. in quotation marks and cite all paraphrased words, ideas, and arguments. Feel free to include illustrations in your paper.