Culture, Minds, Bodies
Talk about emotions and psychological and physical health and illness are not necessarily universal. Another way that culture affects our lives is through our minds and bodies. In fact, the way we think and very differently in different cultures? Moreover, there are emotion words from different languages that
Culture gives a certain form to these aspects of our lives. Did you know that depression is experienced have no translation in English, and there are illnesses that exist in one culture but not in another. The cultural impact on the way we understand our minds and bodies, health and illness, has also changed over time and is sometimes linked to gender in addition to other aspects of culture.
Paper 3 is a “mini” research project in which you use the MCCC library resources to better understand the assigned readings.
READING OPTION: “The Trauma of Facing Deportation”
Write a REPORT on your reading in which you do the following:
1. Summarize the reading that you have chosen.
2. Highlight some QUESTIONS you have about the reading or some TOPICS in the reading that you would like to learn more about.
3. Use TWO ADDITIONAL SOURCES++ from your library research to answer your questions or provide information about the topics you highlighted.
4. Make specific connections between the reading and your library sources.
5. Use at least two quotations (in addition to paraphrases) from each source.
6. Here is a tentative outline (See Section W-9 “Reports” in The Little Seagull for help with your outline):
Introductory paragraph: briefly introduce your READING and indicate what questions or topics from the reading you will address through your library research. Your thesis sums up the answers/information from your library sources.
Body paragraph one: summarize the reading, quoting important passages. Highlight the questions the reading raised for you or the topics/areas from the reading that you need more information about. Two more body paragraphs that present the evidence from your two library sources and answer your questions or explore some topics from the reading. Concluding paragraph: how did your research help you understand the reading? Are there any areas that call for additional research?
Culture, Minds, Bodies