Community emergencies can have a devastating impact to a community whether the emergency is caused by infectious disease or natural disaster. For this assignment, you will focus on emergency preparedness in relation to your clinical practice.
Start with this activity: Select an emergency preparedness guide using one of the two pathways below and develop your paper by answering the questions below.
If you are a SENTARA EMPLOYEE: Visit Sentara’s Emergency Management/Hospital Incident Command System webpages by following these instructions:
1. Log into your Sentara Wavenet account.
2. Copy and paste this address into your internet browser: https://wavenet.sentara.com/channels/empres/emergencyop/slh/Pages/Annex-L.aspx
3. You should be on the page Annex K – HICS/Incident Response Guides
4. Scroll down the page and select one of the Incident Response Guides for Hospital Command Center to review.
5. Write your paper answering the questions posted below.
If you are a NON-SENTARA EMPLOYEE:
1. Follow this link to Appendix F Incident Response Guides: http://hicscenter.org/Shared%20Documents/IRGs/All%20Incident%20Response%20Guide.pdf
2. Select a guide to review from the Hospital Incident Planning and Response Guides.
3. Write your paper answering the questions below.
To complete your assignment: Using the resources provided through your readings and required web link, you are to develop a 2-3 page paper regarding your professional practice disaster preparedness plan. Your paper should use proper APA formatting (title page, running head, page numbers, double-spaced, Times New Roman font, reference page(s), etc.). The 2-3 page limitation does not include the title page and reference page(s). Your paper should answer and discuss the following questions:
· Which Hospital Incident Response Guide did you review?
· What are some of the problems and challenges associated with this disaster response?
· How can these problems and challenges be addressed during the preparedness phase?
· What is the nurse’s role in disaster preparedness?